2005-06-01

Deep Throat doesn't suck!

I was pleased to see that Mark Felt, aka "Deep Throat", who started the ball rolling on the impeachment that ended Nixon's presidency, has finally come forward. But I was amazed at some of the responses from the criminals who served under Nixon. The response of Nixon aide and convict Charles Colson was typical:

"Mark first served this country with honor, and I can't imagine how Mark Felt was sneaking in dark alleys leaving messages under flower pots and violating his oath to keep this nation's secrets. I cannot compute that with the Mark Felt that I know,"

I say, thank god Mark Felt was more honorable than the man you thought you knew. It would be nice if one could expose the government for what it is without having to resort to leaving messages under flower pots. But in the real world, if one has real information about the antics of either wing of the ruling party in America, I suspect that the flower-pot method would be the one to choose. And if a few flowers are disturbed, so be it.

As for the violation of the oath, I am not in possession of a copy of the FBI oath. But most of the oaths taken by US officials, as far as I know, require the office holder to uphold the Constitution. And since the actions of Nixon's whitehouse were surely contrary to the spirit if not let letter of the Constitution, and given the danger faced by anyone willing to go up against the power brokers du jour, I would applaud Mr. Mark's ability to keep his priorities straight.

Government secrecy makes a joke of democracy, since one cannot select representatives likely to support good policies without knowing what policies the candidates have supported in the past. One cannot protest the all-too-frequently dishonorable actions of the government without knowing what those actions are. So my hat's off to Mark Felt! May you never grow hoarse.

No comments: